By Sarah Baker
Guilty pleasures, we all have them. No matter how hard we might try, sometimes, we just have to give in to them, they are a part of life. When it comes to food, I have many guilty pleasures, as I’m sure most people do.
Here are a list of guilty food pleasures from around the world, including some of my personal favorites.
1. Fondue-France, Italy, Switzerland. A big pot of melted cheese or chocolate with various other foods good for dipping. Melted cheese and chocolate! What more could a person want! I love fondue of any form.
2. Fish and Chips-England. Deep fried fish with a bit of vinegar and fries.
3. Kouign-amann-France. Puff pastries and bread dough covered in butter and sugar. Anything in pastry form and covered in butter and sugar is a huge guilty pleasure of mine.
4. Francesinha-Portugal. An oven-baked sandwich with 5 different meats and burger cheese topped with a homemade ketchup/whiskey/tabasco sauce and an egg.
5. Bratwurst-Germany. Sausage topped with any myriad of things such as peppers, mustard, ketchup and my favorite, sauerkraut.
6. Poutine-Canada. French fries topped with light brown gravy and cheese curds.
8. Portuguese Tarts-Portugal. Tarts filled with any variety of chocolate, jellies or custards.
9. Rosti-Switzerland. Shredded potato cakes topped with mozzarella cheese, Bolognese sauce and bacon.
No matter how hard we may try and no matter how healthy we may eat, we all have our guilty pleasures when it comes to food. Eating some of our foods that are our guilty pleasures every once in a while can actually be good for you. With that being said, voyage to new places, try new foods, and enjoy developing more guilty pleasures to share with friends.