By Sarah Baker
Food Trends: Everything Kale
How to make kale your new favorite snack:
You probably have been hearing a lot about kale lately. This is because it is an amazing super food. Kale offers so many health benefits that it’s hard to not eat it. It is full of vitamin A, C, and K, Copper, Potassium, Iron, Manganese, and Phosphorus, promotes eye health, can reduce the risk of cancer and heart attacks, and can lower cholesterol. Even though you can see all the reasons why you should eat kale, you may wonder just how you can incorporate it into your diet.
Here are 5 ways to snack on kale:
1. Pasta-Use kale in your pasta sauces, as a topper, or use it to make your own pasta for a delicious and healthy meal to calm your carb cravings.
2. Chips-You can make your own healthy and delicious kale chips by adding olive oil and salt to your kale and baking it. Try adding your favorite flavors for variety, maybe some mesquite barbeque or sour cream and onion. You can also buy kale chips if you don’t want to make your own.
3. Juice-Create a delicious and nutritious juice with carrots, apple, kale, and ginger. Try different variations and find your favorite combo.
4. Smoothie-Substitute spinach for kale in your healthy smoothies. Mix up some milk, kale, mango and banana for a healthy and yummy smoothie. I use spinach in most of my smoothies, so switching it up for some kale is something I’m going to have to start doing more often. Substitute other fruits, add some vegetables, or yogurt for a delicious twist.
5. Salad-Instead of using lettuce or spinach, try adding kale to your salad. Add some vegetables, almonds, avocado, or other healthy extras to complete your salad and make it your own.
With all of these delicious options and the many benefits of kale, why wouldn’t you want to want to eat it every day! Grab some kale, create your own nutritious and delicious snacks, and reap the benefits!
*Nutritional information of kale found on WebMD.